Generations of Cork people have strolled through the park, relaxed and enjoyed its calm tranquil atmosphere among the trees, shrubs and sculptures. To one side is the River Lee with swans, beyond lie the verdant gardens of Sunday's Well, sloping down to the river bank, with here and there a smal slip peeping out, evoking memories of days when residents regurlarly went punting on the river.
The Park is named after Edward Fitzgerald who was lord Mayor of Cork 1901-1903 and Chairman of Exhibition Committee.
There is also a playground for children at the far western end of the park with plenty of roundabouts, swings, slides and all manner of adventure for 'smallies'. The local council recently installed soft landing padding on the ground to make playtime even safer for young monkeys!
CORK PUBLIC MUSEUM
Cork Public Museum is situated in Fitzgerald Park on the Mardyke. The present Museum was opened in 1945 under the administration of University College Cork and was grant aided by Cork Corporation and Cork County Council. The museum has been administered by Cork Corporation since 1963.
The collections cover the economic, social and municipal history of the city and surrounding area from the Mesolithic period onwards, with particular emphasis on Civic Regalia and the trades and crafts of the 19th and 20th centuries. Of special significance are the very fine collections of Cork Silver, Cork Glass and Youghal needlepoint Lace.