"A Venetian Merchant, Antonio must default on a large loan from an abused Jewish moneylender, Shylock, for a friend with romantic ambitions.
The bitterly vengeful creditor demands a gruesome payment instead"
History of the Cork Shakespearean Company ( The Loft)
Originally founded by Father Christy O’Flynn as An Críoch Scoil in the 1924/5 theatre season, the Cork Shakespearean Company had a brief nomadic existence as it wandered from the library in the North Cathedral Presbytery to Saint Vincent’s School and to premises in Gerald Griffin Street before making its home in two upstairs rooms at 37A John Redmond Street in 1926.
These premises, known locally as The Loft, became famous in Cork theatre circles and in the folklore of the city. The Loft was situated over a former stable, which soon became the Exchange Toffee Works, run by the same family since 1929, and is now Linehan’s handmade sweet factory and shop, still using traditional recipes and original machinery.
Fr O’Flynn died in 1962, and the Cork Shakespearean Company bade farewell to The Loft in 2000. Today the company is based in Eason's Hill Community Centre, Eason's Hill.