Cinema in Macroom started in the old school building at Lucey's Lane in 1918 lasting to the early thirties. There townspeople and others were introduced to the silent films, to the accompaniment of a piano.
The invention of talking pictures in the mid twenties necessitated new equipment and new technology, and became known later as the Castle Ballroom. Many residents of the town still remember both cinemas.
Once again the cinema had to be updated. Technicolor was now in vogue and the great popularity of fim going encouraged Messrs Lucey and Pope to form the Palace Cinema Company. The Palace Cinema was built on the site of a derelict town house owned by the Baldwin family. The new Cinema opened on Saturday, 25th April 1953 with 'Scaramouche' starring Steward Grainger, Elanor Parker, Janet Leigh, Mel Ferrer with colour by 'Technicolor'. There were shows at 6.45p.m. and 9.00p.m. and admission including tax was 2/2 (11p) Balcony, 1/8 (8p) Stalls, and the Pit 1/3 (6p). By the way, the Pit was not an underground cellar! It stood for the closest seats to the screen which could be uncomfortable. A poster in Dineen's tavern is perfectly preserved showing the first week's films starring the great actors and actresses of that era. These included the Marx Brothers, Esther William, Red Shelton, Howard Keel, Pier Angeli, Gene Kelly, Walter Pidgeon, Peter Lawford and Ethel Barrymore.